hist-games: Re: More questions (was: Card History Question)

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Thu Jun 17 07:53:57 PDT 1999

I'd like to add a belated note to the discussion on ancient methods of
card producing.

At 22:55 11.03.99 -0800, Michael McKay wrote:
>Finally, there were a couple of people who mentioned illustrations of card
>making with stencils.  This inspired me to search through all my books.  ...
> I have found the following illustrations: ...

I found a picture on the Internet of that famous painting showing the Camoin
playing card factor in 1861. This is of course not a card making work shop like
was asked for, but rather a modern factory, but it is a nice lively painting, much
more realistic than the curiously empty, technical correct renderings of the
workshops that are contained in the Encylopédie and similar works.

I myself have never seen an illustration of this painting in full colour before,
thought a black-and-white one is contained in Seguin's "Le jeu de cartes".

<http://www.camoin.net/tarot/english/maison_camoin/tableau.htm>

----