hist-games: Dice

David KUIJT kuijt at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Mar 1 14:27:19 PST 1999

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Matthew Whitaker wrote:

> Again, my response is not intended to impugn you or your research.  It was
> only to offer what information and knowledge *I* have to what I believed was
> the appropriate forum.  I apologize if you felt I was dissin' you.
>
> Esugenas

No apology necessary -- I didn't feel "dissed".  If I was abrupt, it was
my fault -- I was thinking of something else (my stupid dissertation on an
unrelated matter) and so I just whacked off a reply without politizing it
first.

For my part, I was very surprised to find that every single example I
found added to 7.  I make no claim that every example that _existed_ added
to 7 on opposite sides; I'd love to find a counterexample (and proving a
negative is nearly impossible).  But as a modern gamer, I was very
intrigued to find that Roman dice would have been instantly familiar to
modern craps players, and vice versa.

Dafydd