hist-games: Checkers

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Mon Dec 21 08:03:27 PST 1998

At 16:32 18.12.98 -0600, Andrew (this is my mother's email) texas at morgan.net wrote:
>... to find out the origin of CHECKERS and how and when they came to
>the United States.
>
>Do you know of any web sites I can go see to learn more about the history and
>evolution of the CHECKER?  Thanks for any help you can give.

The best page for the early history of draughts is
the site on "History of Traditional Games":
<http://web.ukonline.co.uk/james.masters/TraditionalGames/TradBoardGames.htm>

The best history of modern checkers on the net:
<http://www.mcn.net/~jimloy/ch-hist.html>

A short overview concentrating on the modern history of checkers.
<http://www.primenet.com/~krow/history.htm>

An essay on the beginnings on draughts, to be taken with caution.
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~wester/book/>

Short rules from the 'Period Games Page' grouping similar
games togehter:
<http://www.riconnect.com/wulfric/sca/interest/game/war.htm>
<http://www.riconnect.com/wulfric/sca/interest/game/index.htm>

Miscellaneous links:
<http://www.playsite.com/games/board/checkers/history.html>
<http://www.101percent.com/education/games/checkers/history.html>

>Do you have any research tips for me?

Look into Murray's "History of Board-Games Other Than Chess".
You'll find it all in there.
Grunfeld's "Games of the world" got a paragraph on history of
draughts too.
You can find full citations of these books in Justin's bibliography:
<http://www.inmet.com/~justin/justin_bib.html>

And there should be a new history of board games forthcoming,
from David Parlett. Is it already available?

Have a nice Christmas all of you!

**       christian.hartmann at uni-duesseldorf.de