hist-games: Celtic Board Games - Specifically Brandubh

Alex R. Kraaijeveld a.kraayeveld at ic.ac.uk
Fri Dec 4 06:57:45 PST 1998

Hi Matthew, hi all!

I would be EXTREMELY interested to know what the literary sources and
archaeological finds are that this reconstruction of brandub is based on.
There will have to be literary sources, as the moves of the pieces and
details on when a pieces is removed from the board can't be reconstructed
from finds of boards and pieces.

To be honest, unless I see some actual evidence to the contrary, I stick to
MacWhite's reconstruction from the paper I posted on the list earlier (i.e.
a Hnefatafl-like game).

So, if you know of any sources or finds other than those mentioned in
MacWhite, please let me know!

Cheers, Lex

Dr A.R. Kraaijeveld
NERC Centre for Population Biology