hist-games: brandub

Alex R. Kraaijeveld a.kraayeveld at ic.ac.uk
Thu Dec 3 01:24:15 PST 1998

Hi Phill, hi all

Digging in these Celtic and Viking games, trying to find historical info on
them and their possible connection has been an on-going project for me for
a number of years now. With regard to brandub, the only reliable
information I have been able to come across so far is:

MacWhite E, 1946. Early Irish Board Games. Éigse 5: 25-35.

With reliable, I mean that claims are made, backed up by historical (i.e.
literary and/or archaeological) evidence. For brandub as well as the other
Celtic games, a number of claims are and have been made in a wide variety
of sources that simply have no historical back-up of any kind whatsoever.
So keep that in mind whenever you read something on any of these games!

Hope the reference is useful!

Cheers, Lex

Dr A.R. Kraaijeveld
NERC Centre for Population Biology