hist-games: Celtic Board Games - Specifically Brandubh

Phill Clarke pclarke at healey.com.au
Wed Dec 2 15:20:27 PST 1998

Hello All,
This is my first post to the list, as such I hope I am following
convention and not covering questions previously asked.
I am looking for information about an Irish Celtic board game known as
Brandubh (Brandhub, Branduh). From my research thus far I believe it is
related to various other Celtic and Norse games of the period. (Fidchell,
Fitchneal, Tablut, Tafl, Hnefatafl, the list goes on...) There is not a
mountain of
information available in regards to any of these games, but it would
appear evn less so for Brandubh.
I have found some information at the following sites:

http://www.historicgames.com/Fitchneal.html
http://www.ele.kth.se/FMI/staff/hnefatafl.html
http://www.gamecabinet.com/history/Hnef.html

Unfortunatelly very little Brandubh specific information.
Some say this variant is played with dice, others say without.
Can anybody provide me with, or point me to, a specific set of rules or
archive of information in regards to Brandubh ?

All assistance most appreciated.

Cheers
Phill