hist-games: IPCS Convention

Mckay, Michael michael.mckay at compaq.com
Wed Dec 2 14:42:48 PST 1998

Opps, let me expand a bit for the hist-games list.  I started off writing my
message for the playing-card list, and added the hist-games list later on.
Sorry if I assumed too much knowledge.  The IPCS is the "International
Playing-Card Society".  They hold an annual convention, and last October's
was in a suburb of Paris, France.  Take a look at http://www.pagat.com/ipcs/
for more details.

They are about 60% "collector", 20% "history" and 20% "player" (in terms of
articles in the quarterly journal).  Overall, I find about 20% of their
activities to be directly of interest to pre-17th century games.  Even at
20%, I still feel they are a organization worth supporting.  Almost a third
of the presentations at this years IPCS convention were on topics that would
be of interest to this list.  I'll publish a summary of the papers when I
get home.

Michael McKay  (known in the SCA as Seaan McAy)
seaan at concentric.net