hist-games: Miltitary Illustrated on Sharp Weapons.

Bill Bill at bracewel.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 06:21:48 PDT 1998

In article: <199809061436_MC2-588E-E0D9 at compuserve.com>
Allafrik at compuserve.com writes:

> Anyway, while I am here - did anyone else see that interesting article
> in Military Illustrated about the way we should be using sharps during
> combat?

Yes I saw the article briefly at a regimental meeting.

> One final thing - the public are disappointed to see us using blunts
> during  combat. My response? TOUGH.

That seemed to be the nub of his argument - that Joe Public was
disapointed to see blunt weapons in a L.H. situation, therefore we
should use sharp weapons on the field.

I credit most Jo(e) Public with having more sense than to expect us to
fight with sharp weapons.  IMHO comments about bluntness, and also the
use of balls in muskets, are more conversational gambits rather than a
condemnation of our level of authenticity.

Perhaps the author of the article would be suprised to learn that blanks
 are used in films and the final scene in Hamlet is fought with blunt
swords.

I suspect the low level of reaction on this newslist and the newsgroups
is because the article was recognised as being a worthless troll.

--
Barnacle Bill