hist-games: Rules for Partita (17th century Bolognesi Tarot game)

SeaanMcAy at aol.com SeaanMcAy at aol.com
Tue Sep 1 23:11:01 PDT 1998

Here are the rules for the 17th century version of Partita.  I have simplified
the rules a bit (noted below), so that I could teach both the basic Tarot
version and this game within a two hour class.  I've found this game to be
quite fun, and hope to make it a regular game amongst my friends.  I've
attached a Rich-Tecx-Format (RTF) version of the game below.

Michael McKay  (known in the SCA as Seaan McAy)

---------

Rules of Partita
The 17th century form of a Bolognesi Tarot Card Game

Partita is the name of a card game that was popular in Bologna region of
Italy.  The rules of the game come to us from Instruzioni necessarie per che
si volesse impare il dilettevole giuoco dei Tarocchini by Carlo Pisarri
(1754).  Pisarri compares a "very old" manuscript describing former means of
card play with the current games [of 1754].  The majority of my information
comes from Michael Dummett's The Game of Tarot (Duckworth, 1980).  In chapter
16 of The Game of Tarot, Dummett lays out a number of reasons that causes him
to place the origins of this game in the first quarter of the 16th century