hist-games: info request: Russian Games

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Fri Aug 28 06:37:21 PDT 1998

At 13:29 26.08.98 -0400, jstrauss at poboxes.com wrote:
>...My
>lady has asked me to inquire about as to what info we have on Russian
>games, both board and especially otherwise. ...

I can provide only hints for sedentary games I'm afraid:

According to Murray the following board-games were
definitely played in Russia (including Ukraine):

- Nine-Men's Morris
- Draughts
- Chess
- Fox-and-Geese (version with 13 geese)
- (Russian) Backgammon

Note that Draughts the Russian way was played like Polish
draughts only on a 8x8 board.

As to card games, I'd like to refer you to the section
on Russia on McLeod's Card Game site.
<http://www.pagat.com/national.html#russia>

>From this choice I'd like to suggest _Polish_draughts_,
which is sure to be a refreshing experience for players
used to the Anglo-American Draughts/Checkers, and
especially the card game _Durak_:

This a fun game which definitely has some party qualities.
It is easy to explain (indeed much played by children) but
exhibits a way of playing different from all other games
at cards you propably know!

**       christian.hartmann at uni-duesseldorf.de