hist-games: Hoyle on Whist

Hathaway hathaway at locl.net
Tue Jul 28 20:14:39 PDT 1998

At 6:47 PM 7/28/98, David Levy wrote:
>At 02:17 PM 7/28/98 -0500, Hathaway wrote:
>>I am also looking for Hoyle's "Treatise
>>on Whist," his original card book.

[...]

>If you are seriously interested in getting a copy of Hoyle's Treatise, email
>me off the list.

I am, but so far the copies I have been able to locate are either originals
in perfect condition (much too much money) or 19th c. "Improved" editions,
which I fear will not hold closely to the 18th c. rules I would like. I
would be interested in participating the publication of a facsimile of
Hoyle's various treatises. What I am looking for is either a facsimile or a
"reading copy" of unedited Hoyle. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated. I am becoming involved with 18th c. reenacting, and my interst
in games and publishing naturally lead to all this, I'm afraid! :-)

>Check out the Trictrac Home Page at http://www.best.com/~dlevy/

Nice to see this! I would be very interested in a transcription of the
whist section (the whole thing, really) of Richard Seymour's The Compleat
Gamester.