hist-games: Gambling conventions for Whist?

Hathaway hathaway at locl.net
Tue Jul 28 12:17:27 PDT 1998

Hello, I know this is slightly out of the stated time period for the list,
but can anyone explain how gambling works with the game of Whist? I
understand the game itself, but I have no idea how the betting was done.
Thank you for your help in advance! I am also looking for Hoyle's "Treatise
on Whist," his original card book.