hist-games: chess-board w/ playing-cards

John McLeod john at pagat.demon.co.uk
Thu May 14 00:31:57 PDT 1998

Mckay, Michael <michael.mckay at tandem.com> wrote:
>>There are 14 'cards' per suit.  Each 'card' has been randomly assigned a
>>1thru 12 number, *except* the Aces (set in each corner of the board) and
>the
>>Queens (set at the corners just inside the Aces).   So maybe the Aces are
>>the starting point for each player, and the Queens (of Love & Beauty) are
>>there simply to preside over the 'battle' (which would conveniently account
>>for the need for a 14th card per deck).
>>
>>>1. A complete pack of playing cards with German suit-signs is illustrated
>>>on the board.
>>>

>>Does a pack of German cards contain 56 cards?
>>Each suit of 14 'cards' contains Ace thru 9, a King, a Queen, a 'Flag',
>>*and* 2 'Guards (Hearts & Acorns), *or* 2 'Jokers' (Bells), *or* 2 "others"
>>(looks like a woman & a monk in Ivy).

A standard German pack at that time would have consisted of 48 cards:
king, over, under, banner, 9 - 2 in each of the four suits (acorns,
leaves, hearts, bells). This is exactly what is shown on the 48
mnumbered squares of the board. I am not convinced that the other 8
squares actually correspond to playing-cards. In any case the maker of
the board clearly considered the 48 cards of the standard deck to be
different from the other eight, in that these 8 squares are unnumbered.

I agree with all the information below, but I doubt whether these 56
card packs would have still been around in the 17th century.

--
John McLeod                      For information on card games visit
john at pagat.demon.co.uk           http://www.pagat.com/