hist-games: Visconti Deck

Jane & Mark Waks waks at mediaone.net
Mon May 4 20:29:24 PDT 1998

Christian wrotes:
> If this is the Visconti-Sforza deck, then it is not an amalgam of different
> _decks_, but a reproduction of an almost complete deck which
> is divided between three different museums: 35 cards in New York, 26
> in Bergamo and 13 of the Colleone family in Italy.

Principally, anyway. They say that this deck is built mainly around the
Pierpoint Morgan-Bergamo deck; however, they also go on to list all of
the other known Visconti decks. (None as complete as this one.)

> There's one question I like to ask regarding this edition: If you add the numbers
> of cards preserved, you'll get 74 -- thus, 4 cards are lost, being the
> Tower, the Devil, the Knight of coins and the Three of swords.
>
> For a *complete* edition of the Visonti-Sforza, these cards have to be re-created,
> but not in all cases is this done in a pleasing manner!
>
> Could somebody who owns Lo Scarabeo's edition be so kind as to comment on
> the execution of these four cards, or - better - to scan and publish these
> four cards on the internet?

Can't do that, but taking a quick glance at them, you're certainly right
that they aren't original equipment. They don't explicitly state where
these four cards come from, whether they are taken from a different
deck, or drawn modernly. I suspect the latter -- the whole deck has been
touched up by A. A. Atanassov, and I wouldn't be surprised if he drew
the four missing cards.

The artwork isn't terrible; I probably wouldn't have noticed the
difference if you hadn't pointed out. But the details are slightly off:
the color work is a shade rough, the eyes are a little too big, and
suchlike. Good enough for day-to-day use, but they're not going to fool
anyone with an eye for art.