hist-games: Visconti Deck

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Mon May 4 05:57:06 PDT 1998

At 11:06 27.04.98 -0400, Mark Waks wrote:

>Lo Scarabeo, purveyors of pretty much all the best historical Tarot
>decks, has apparently just come out with a really nice rendition of the
>Visconti "deck" (actually an amalgam of a few decks, I gather).

If this is the Visconti-Sforza deck, then it is not an amalgam of different
_decks_, but a reproduction of an almost complete deck which
is divided between three different museums: 35 cards in New York, 26
in Bergamo and 13 of the Colleone family in Italy.

>I've had some luck
>finding Lo Scarabeo decks at various game stores. (I get the impression
>that it's a specialty imprint of US Games, which would explain its wide
>distribution...)
>				-- Justin

Editione Lo Scarabeo seem to be an independent publisher, based at Turin.
 (Corso Svizzera 31, 10143 Torino, Italia)

I haven't been able to lay my hands on this edition - it has been published
only January/February in Germany (ISBN 3-927898-68-7).

There's one question I like to ask regarding this edition: If you add the numbers
of cards preserved, you'll get 74 -- thus, 4 cards are lost, being the
Tower, the Devil, the Knight of coins and the Three of swords.

For a *complete* edition of the Visonti-Sforza, these cards have to be re-created,
but not in all cases is this done in a pleasing manner!

Could somebody who owns Lo Scarabeo's edition be so kind as to comment on
the execution of these four cards, or - better - to scan and publish these
four cards on the internet?

Thanks,

**       christian.hartmann at uni-duesseldorf.de