hist-games: Romano-Celtic Game reference?

Chas historic at protocom.com
Sun Mar 29 19:58:05 PST 1998

I was doing a little reading on Celtic mythology and stumbled
across this under a description of Samhain, and was wondering if
anyone knows more about this one?

     "In a curious early Irish text we hear of a strange boardgame
which the boys of Rome play. At one end of the board is a cailleach
with a dragon which she sends against a maiden with the lamb. The game
was instituted by the sibyl, says the story, and explains why Samhain
is so called. This contest is a clear remembrance of combat between
winter and spring which in Celtic terms were governed by the Cailleach
(the old hag of winter) and Brigit (the maid with the lamb)." -British
and Irish Mythology, An Encyclopedia of Myth and Legend, by Caitlin &
John Matthews, Diamond Bks., 1995.

Chas
MacGregor Historic Games

P.S. I recently added a graphic of the original Ballinderry
"Fitchneal" board to my web site at:
www.historicgames.com/Fitchneal.html