hist-games: Charles Cotton's "Compleat Gamester"

Mark Waks justin at intermetrics.com
Tue Feb 17 08:15:18 PST 1998

Christian Joachim Hartmann wrote:
> I was very much surprized when I found out that the
> 1972 reprint of Charles Cotton's "Compleat Gamester"
> (1674) is still to be had.
>
> This book is offered by the "Gambler's Book Shop",
> Las Vegas in their latest catalogue (1997 Retail
> Catalogue) at US$ 5.95.
> [see also <http://www.gamblersbook.com/>]
>
> To my best knowledge, the book they offer is the same
> reprint, published by Cornmarket Reprints, Cambridge,
> that I bought yeeeaaars ago.

I don't know if it's the same one you have, but it's a remarkably nice
edition. Cloth cover, apparently original size, and good reproduction
quality, for a preposterously low price. My best guess is that they
bought the entire remainder run of the book, and are slowly doling it
out over the years.

I must agree with Christian -- if you don't have this, it's on the
must-get list; a fine edition of one of the most important books on the
topic...

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

"I think that, somewhere out there, there's some secret group that
 creates and spreads these conspiracy theories for their own evil
 purposes..."
		-- "Shelby"