hist-games: Charles Cotton's "Compleat Gamester"

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Sun Feb 15 14:11:00 PST 1998

Dear Subscribers,

I was very much surprized when I found out that the
1972 reprint of Charles Cotton's "Compleat Gamester"
(1674) is still to be had.

This book is offered by the "Gambler's Book Shop",
Las Vegas in their latest catalogue (1997 Retail
Catalogue) at US$ 5.95.
[see also <http://www.gamblersbook.com/>]

To my best knowledge, the book they offer is the same
reprint, published by Cornmarket Reprints, Cambridge,
that I bought yeeeaaars ago.

I should list this reprint amoungst the best books on
games I got and I recommend it to everybody interested
in the history of games in general and card games in
particular.
It is a rare pleasure to be able to read for yourself
in this book which is cited as source by so many other
account on the history of games.

---------

I'd like to add a question to my little ad above:

Are there any other reprints of pre-1900 books on games?

**       christian.hartmann at uni-duesseldorf.de