hist-games: Eighteen-sided die from 17th c.

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Thu Jan 29 09:23:07 PST 1998

Dear Subscribers,

In a book, I found a description of a curious die.
This die is said to have twelve faces showing
the number 1 to 6 (as usual) plus six combinations
of letters.
To me, the die seems to be rather eighteen-sided
(with some additional empty faces). These seem to
contain the numbers from 1 to 12 plus the six
combinations of letters.

These last show astonishing similarities to
the ones on the teetotum I posted a letter about
two weeks ago:

ND, NH, NG, LS, SZ, TA

The rules given for playing with this die don't sound
very convincing, so I would like to ask if anybody
knows of any other inforation on dices like that.

Thanks.

I scanned the respective page showing both die and
the rules proposed for play. The file is rather
large and meant to be printed.
<http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~hartmanc/public/dodeca.gif>

**       christian.hartmann at uni-duesseldorf.de