hist-games: Alfonso Transcription looks real...

Mark Waks justin at intermetrics.com
Wed Jan 21 09:46:13 PST 1998

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> That would be great, and perhaps we have some other volunteers on the
> list?

Perhaps; do bear in mind, though, that we don't have redistribution
rights to the original, so we can't web the project up quite the way we
did Il Ballarino. Basically, anyone doing it will need to obtain the
CD-ROM, if we're going to avoid trampling on the copyright...

> For Caroso's _Il Ballarino_ we actually tried a modern commercial
> English -> Italian translating program. After adjusting a few words in
> the dictionary it works pretty well; the main thing it's doing is a
> bit of sentence structure and looking up all the words for you. The
> result then needs a lot of massaging, but much less flipping through
> the dictionary, and it makes different sorts of mistakes than you
> would, so it is a good check.

Hmm; interesting. What program did you use? It would be interesting to
see if they have an equivalent for Spanish...

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

On Modern Music:
"The biggest innovation is an electronic marvel about the size of an
 old-fashioned record player, called a sampler. With it, you can
 record snatches of other people's music digitally (ie, with a sound
 quality that matches the original) and then mix them up and call the
 product your own. No youngster fancying his future as a composer
 need be deterred by an ignorance of music theory, lack of skills or
 advanced tone deafness."
		-- from The Economist