hist-games: Illustr. of Pope-Joan boards

Charles L Knutson knutsonc at freenet.msp.mn.us
Fri Jan 16 18:18:27 PST 1998

Sorry. another question actually, not a reply...  The earliest
reference I've found mentioned to Pope Joan is circa 1730's but the
author didn't say where the reference was found. Does Anyone have
anything earlier? Since the board markings are similar to Poch I've
assumed some authors may have mistaken them for each other
thereby confusing Pope Joan's origins.

Charles
MacGregor Historic Games
www.metrofamily.com/historicgames