hist-games: Re: Zodiac

Charles L Knutson knutsonc at freenet.msp.mn.us
Sat Jan 10 07:52:37 PST 1998

Your description agrees with what we have, although the English version
of Bell seems a little more clear. The seven sides you mention in the
German version comes out as being that the board is made up of 7
concentric circles, and that these make up the separate orbits in which the
pieces travel through the 12 houses of the Zodiac.

I agree it doesn't seem that interesting, if the player that comes up on
the die can only move on space (house) each move. Maybe there's some way
to include "retrograde" (The appearance that some objects in the sky move
backwards lightly during certain times of their orbits) motion as well that
would add some more interest

 The one part that does create
some interest is that each time you move you are likely going to pay as
well as receive payment from other players, so coins, or chips wuld change
hands around the table in unpredictable ways. If nothing else, it might be
a fun party game for children with candy for markers, (or a drinking game
if used with shots for bigger kids).

Since the on board illustrated in Bell's book the "orbits" are divided
into smaller squares within each house we were at first wondering if they
were involved in movement in some way, or were just decoration on the
board. But it is looking like it's just decoration.

As far as a 7-sided die we were thinking about trying to make a 7-sided
teetotum-styled die using a 7-sided disk pierced by a dowel.

Charles
MacGregor Historic Games
www.metrofamily.com/historicgames