hist-games: New Rules for "Farmer in the Dell"

Will Linden wlinden at panix.com
Tue Dec 16 21:11:14 PST 1997

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, David Salley wrote:

> Over the weekend, my wife was reading an interesting account on the web.
> In Utah, a gradeschool teacher was brought before the state schoolboard
> to answer charges that she was actively promoting homosexual lifestyles
> in her second grade class.  It seems she was teaching the kids how to
> play "Farmer in the Dell" and there were more girls than boys in the
> class......
   Sigh...  This story was a piece of net.satire! made up out of whole
cloth by someone who considered it humorous. The current issue of
SUNSTONE, the "Mormon dissident" journal, has an extended account by the
author of the inadvertent "hoax", of how it started and how her repeated
"retractions" keep vainly chasing people who keep reporting her fiction
as fact.
    And, of course, there was Pierre Salinger citing a net post as a
"document" which "proved" skullduggery over Flight 800.
  People, "news" on the net is strictly _caveat lector_.