hist-games: Historical Games -- FAQ, Part II (Monthly Posting)

Mark Waks justin at intermetrics.com
Wed Dec 3 13:16:35 PST 1997

Christian Joachim Hartmann asked:
> Question: Would the members of this mailing list suggest "Nine-Men's-Morris"
>           or rather "Merels" as the generic name of this family of games?

I tend to use either just "Morris" or "Merels" as the generic term for
the family. "Nine Men's Morris" has a strong connotation of the specific
(nine piece per side) game, so I avoid it when talking about the family
in general...

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

"In many respects the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights
and the
 American Dream are, in their hour of triumph, as strong as ever. But in
one
 way they are weaker: the collapse of communism has robbed them of an
evil
 against which they have been explicitly contrasted for more than half a
 century. For Manichaeans, which means for many Americans, the world has
been
 black and white; with the blackness gone, the whiteness now shines
 less brightly."
		-- from The Economist