hist-games: Greek and Roman 'draughts/checkers'

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Wed Dec 3 01:46:51 PST 1997

At 17:09 02.12.97 +0000, Alex R. Kraaijeveld wrote:

>As far as I know, all these claims of the Romans and Greek already playing
>draughts/checkers comes from a rather 'loose' translation of the Greek
>'petteia' or 'poleis' and the Roman 'ludus latrunculorum'. Although the
>exact details of these games are not known, they were surely no form of
>checkers.
>
>References for petteia / poleis / latrunculus:
>
>Austin RG, 1934. Roman board games I. Greece and Rome 4: 24-34.
>Austin RG, 1935. Roman board games II. Greece and Rome 4: 76-82.
>Austin RG, 1940. Greek board games. Antiquity 14: 257-271.
>
>There is a recent publication on latrunculus which I haven't been able to
>get my hands on as yet (anyone who has?):
>
>Schadler, U., 1994. Latrunculi - ein verlorenes strategisches Brettspiel
>der Romer.
>published in: Homo ludens IV
>

>I'm not sure what Egyptian game is referred to; 'senet' and 'tau' etc seem
>to have been race-games rather then war-games .....
>
>Cheers, Lex

I think we should stick to the Alquerque explanation as the basis of this faq.
Archeological finds of boards similar to the Alquerque-board or the
Checkers/Chess-board could be appended.

I found a reference stating that a similar board was found in Kurna (Egypt)
around 1400 B.C. I suppose it was scratched on the same block of stone
together
with the early Nin-Men's-Morris-board and the early Mancala-board. :-)

**       christian.hartmann at uni-duesseldorf.de