hist-games: Dice terms

Charles L Knutson knutsonc at freenet.msp.mn.us
Fri Nov 28 11:11:38 PST 1997

   I've been assembling a list of historic dicing terms. Can anyone add to,
or correct what I have so far? Most I found in Cotton's "The Complete
Gamester."

TIA
Charles

Bristle dice: A pig bristle embedded in the center spot of the five, its
point just flush with the surface of the die. On a baize, or cloth surface,
the point was supposed to catch and slow the roll.

Chance: Taking your throw, or chance at the dice.

Fullums: High, or Low fullums are mis-marked dice on which certain
numbers are repeated.

Knapping: Possibly to throw the dice so that one strikes another,
stopping the bottom dice from tumbling.

Mark: Usually a neutral score that wins nothing, but allows the player to
continue to roll the dice.

Nick: A winning roll in Hazard, or a "natural" in modern Craps.

Out: A losing roll.

Run a Millstone: Possibly to cause dice to land one on top of the other,
as an upper millstone grinding grain turns on the lower stone. See also
"Knapping."

Slurring: A method of cheating, throwing the dice gently so they slide,
without tumbling.

Stabbing: Using a rigged dice cup.

Topping: A method of cheating by palming.