hist-games: Re: Darts

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at mci.com
Thu Nov 20 08:08:00 PST 1997

> [...] Late Roman infantryman was well stocked up with a number
> of darts which were stored in handy places like in pockets in the
> shield, etc. These were used to slow down the enemy as they charged
> or were being charged. [...]
>
> The darts used back then [...] were about a foot long with a
> heavy weight in the centre of them. The weight was sometimes
> made of lead -- nasty. [...]

When I look up "dart" in my trusty little Collins Latin Gem,
it says, "iaculum", but when I look up "iaculum", it translates
it back as "javelin".  But if I saw a lead-weighted, foot-long
dart, I'd probably call it a javelin, too.

-- Alfredus
Facilis descensus Averni;        |The descent to Avernus is easy;
Noctes atque dies                |Night and day
    patet atri janua Ditis;      |    Pluto's gates are open;
Sed revocare gradum,             |But to recall your steps,
    superasque evadere ad auras, |    and climb to the upper air,
Hoc opus, hic labor est.         |That is the toil, that is the work.
    -- Publius Vergilius Maro    |               -- Virgil