hist-games: Darts

Jeff Singman jsingman at umich.edu
Thu Nov 20 07:14:01 PST 1997

> > I had a quick look at my encyclopedia this morning. It says Darts was
> > introduced to America by the pilgrims on the Mayflower.
>
> Hmm; it's an interesting claim -- that's *much* earlier than any date
> I've ever heard. Which encyclopaedia is it? Does it give any more
> information? Does it give any references? Tell us more...

As they say in Westminster, I refer the honourable gentleman to my
previous statement. I'm not sure I give much credence to the Mayflower
story (it has a whiff of folk-legend about it), but darts can certainly be
attested as a children's game in France by 1659, so it's by no means
impossible that the Pilgrims were familiar with it. JLS