hist-games: Frequently Asked Questions -- Part II (Monthly Posting)

David Salley salley at niktow.canisius.edu
Tue Nov 18 07:51:49 PST 1997

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> > The FAQ would be 1,000% more useful if it gave the refs, or pointers
> > to refs. I know this takes a lot of time, but that's the ideal we
> > should strive for.

JLS replies
> I am 1,000% in accord on this point (hence my remark in the previous
> posting that these notes were intended as spurs to discussion--ie. not as
> draft texts for the FAQ). The absence of refs. in FAQ entries so far
> rather limits their usefulness--if we want more out of them, perhaps some
> guidelines should be promulgated.

>   At present, I for one lack the time for composing what I would consider
> really useful entries (ie. w/ at least basic documentation); on the other
> hand, by airing our various half-baked ideas, we may find that it flushes
> out useful alternative perspectives--and eventually some of us may go so
> far as to have a look at the original sources again with a newly critical
> eye. So even if the FAQ itself isn't at this point much use from a
> research perspective, the discussions behind it may be of some value.

This is why I am posting the FAQ list a few games at a time.  If I have to
research EVERY game on the list, by myself, the final list might not come
out for a couple of years.  This way, at least it's a semi-useful guide
until entries can be updated with references.  Everybody is more than welcome
to take a game and do the research on it and send me a small paragraph with
references.
							-- Dagonell
               ______
              /      | INTERNET   : salley at niktow.canisius.edu
             /       | WEB-NET    : http://www-cs.canisius.edu/~salley
    ________/        | USNAILNET  : David P. Salley, 136 Shepard Street,
   |*                |              Buffalo, New York 14212-2029 U.S.A.
  /  Rhydderich Hael | ICBMNET    : 42 55 32 N / 78 51 10 W / Alt 600
 |______________     | PERSONA    : Dagonell the Juggler
 AEthelmearc    `_   | COOKBOOK	  : "It Came From Hael's Kitchen" $2 + $1 p&h
         Kingdom  `__| DETAILS	  : Check the website under SCA, Feasts