hist-games: darts

Siegling, Van M Van_Siegling at dscc.dla.mil
Mon Nov 17 08:32:51 PST 1997

As a possible lead, I would suggest contacting the newsgroup for dart
competitions.  (No, I don't know if such a newsgroup exists, but I would
be surprised if it didn't.  I do know there is an organization that
oversees dart tournaments nationwide.  They probably have either a
newsgroup or a web page.)
	As an amateur military historian, I know I have seen mention of
darts in battle reports from ancient and/or medieval times.  But these
were weapons of war, much heavier, used to injure or kill someone.  (I
would hazard a guess that these military darts probably were similar in
length and weight to lawn "Jarts", formerly a commercial product.  Due
to safety and legal liability considerations, I doubt that "Jarts" are
still available in stores.)   I do not know when the military
application evolved into a competitive, but non-lethal, game.
       	Hope the lead works out for you.       Van Siegling