hist-games: darts

Mark Waks justin at intermetrics.com
Mon Nov 17 07:50:43 PST 1997

Robert Beaulieu wrote:
> Are darts game period?
>         Are they medieval?

The short answer: we don't know for sure, but probably not. This is one
of those holy grails of us tavern gamers: I would *love* to find some
evidence that something reasonably close to modern darts is period, but
so far I haven't seen a shred of it.

I gather that they did have "darts" in period, but they appear to have
been rather different from modern darts: much larger, maybe made from
broken arrows (or even bigger). It's also conspicuous that darts tend
not to be referred to in *gaming* sources per se. So it's likely that
"darts", insofar as they existed, were something much closer to archery:
an active, larger-scale, probably outdoor activity, rather than a game.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but as best I can tell, darts as we know
the game probably evolved well after period...

				-- Justin
				   Who is rather fond of darts...

Random Quote du Jour:

"Y'know, lad, the greatest sin of the American preacher is to have
nothing to
 say -- and to say it."
		-- A Scottish friend of the Frugal Gourmet