hist-games: darts

David KUIJT kuijt at umiacs.umd.edu
Sun Nov 16 17:43:37 PST 1997

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Zax wrote:

> I was being a little sarcastic, sorry for the lack of emoticon; I know
> AD&D is not a very good source of documentary, but I have very little
> else, and the information is *somewhat* accurate.  I made an assumption
> that darts were probably available in the middle-ages, altho not the same
> one's we use today, (They were probably miniature arrows...).

The "darts" referred to in AD&D do represent a weapon used (rarely) in the
middle ages or ancient period.  However, the weapon has nothing to do with
the game. The weapon is basically a javelin with fins.  The similarity is
in the name only, and there is probably as close a relation between the
weapon and the game as there is between either one of them and the vehicle
of the same name produced by Dodge.  Which is to say, none.

Dafydd