hist-games: Frequently Asked Questions -- Part II (Monthly Posting)

Jeff Singman jsingman at umich.edu
Tue Nov 11 10:35:04 PST 1997

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> The FAQ would be 1,000% more useful if it gave the refs, or pointers
> to refs. I know this takes a lot of time, but that's the ideal we
> should strive for.

I am 1,000% in accord on this point (hence my remark in the previous
posting that these notes were intended as spurs to discussion--ie. not as
draft texts for the FAQ). The absence of refs. in FAQ entries so far
rather limits their usefulness--if we want more out of them, perhaps some
guidelines should be promulgated.
  At present, I for one lack the time for composing what I would consider
really useful entries (ie. w/ at least basic documentation); on the other
hand, by airing our various half-baked ideas, we may find that it flushes
out useful alternative perspectives--and eventually some of us may go so
far as to have a look at the original sources again with a newly critical
eye. So even if the FAQ itself isn't at this point much use from a
research perspective, the discussions behind it may be of some value.
  JLS