hist-games: Frequently Asked Questions -- Part II (Monthly Posting)

Alexx S Kay alexx at world.std.com
Tue Nov 11 08:28:59 PST 1997

> I don't know a lot about this week's list (active games are *not* my
> specialty), but I'll comment on the card game:
>
> David Salley wrote:
> > This week's games are:
> >
> >         THE GREAT DALMUTI -- invented by Dagonell who will never have to
> >         work again except for cashing those royalty checks :-)
> >         Seriously, I'm including this on the list because it DOES get
> >         asked of me at demos and such.
>
> Extremely modern: invented by Richard Garfield (I believe), of Magic and
> RoboRally fame, a couple of years ago. Although trick-taking games of
> various sorts are quite period, I'm not aware of anything particularly
> close to Dalmuti...

I was skimming rec.games.board at the time that The Great Dalmuti came
out, and I recall some discussion of its origins.  While I don't remember
all the details, there were a number of claims to the effect that TGD was
a relatively minor tweak of a family of card games that many of the
group's posters had played in college.  (I remember that a number of
people were upset at buying a game that 'they already knew and could play
with an ordinary deck of cards'.)  I don't know offhand whether any of
the alleged precursors fall into the period of this discussion.  It might
be worth asking on that newsgroup for more details.

Alexx

Alexx at world.std.com
Selections from Gamers Famous Last Words:
262-"I wish we had a 10 foot pole.  Oh well."