hist-games: Query on dice games

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Mon Nov 10 01:17:50 PST 1997

At 13:58 08.11.97 +0000, John McLeod wrote:

>On reading your mail, I wonder if the name for the game that the
>original poster heard might have been "major". Pronounced in German,
>this would sound a bit like "myer" to an English speaker, and it would
>be reasonable for the game to be named after its highest combination.

I though about that, too, but I decided differently.
The English equivalent of the German pronounciation of "Major" would
be something like *'ma-yoer'. At least the stress is on the second syllable
and the "o", whereas in English "major" is stressed on the first syllable
like *"mae-jer".

If I had to explain "myer" as a 'corruption' from German - for which I have
no reason - I could as well assume that "Max" is the name of the top combination
in South Germany and "Meier" could be name for the corresponding
combination in the 'Nurth'.
But this is speculation and I would rather like to hear of other people knowing
that game.

Christian

**       christian.hartmann at uni-duesseldorf.de