hist-games: Freq. Asked Questions -- Part II

David Salley salley at niktow.canisius.edu
Fri Oct 17 08:04:14 PDT 1997

It was suggested that the group talk over the list of games for Part II
before adding them to the FAQ.  My first post to this effect didn't generate
any commentary, so I thought I'd try again in a slightly more organized
fashion.  I will post the names of five games every weekend, allow one week
for commentary and then move on to the next five games on the list.
This week's "documentation" is off the top of my head.

	1) Backgammon
		Medievally known as "tables", ancient in origin.
	2) Bowling (nine-pins)
		I haven't a clue!
	3) Cathedral
		Strictly 20th century in origin.  Anyone have an exact date?
	4) Checkers (draughts)
		Brought back from the crusades as a variant of Al Querques
	5) Chess
		Ancient in origin.  See "A History of Chess" by H.R.Murray

							-- Dagonell
               ______
              /      | INTERNET   : salley at niktow.canisius.edu
             /       | WEB-NET    : http://www-cs.canisius.edu/~salley
    ________/        | USNAILNET  : David P. Salley, 136 Shepard Street,
   |*                |              Buffalo, New York 14212-2029 U.S.A.
  /  Rhydderich Hael | ICBMNET    : 42 55 32 N / 78 51 10 W / Alt 600
 |______________     | PERSONA    : Dagonell the Juggler
 AEthelmearc    `_   | COOKBOOK	  : "It Came From Hael's Kitchen" $2 + $1 p&h
         Kingdom  `__| DETAILS	  : Check my website under SCA, Cooking