hist-games: Miniature Historical Tarot Decks

Christian Joachim Hartmann lukian at Null.net
Thu Oct 9 06:47:14 PDT 1997

At 17:07 02.10.1997 -0400, Mark Waks <justin at inmet.com> wrote:
>I know I've been meaning to write in about this for a while, but I can't
>recall doing so. So...
>
>Late last year, I got myself an exceptionally cool Christmas present: a
>collection of miniature replicas of historical Tarot decks. The details
>on these decks are a bit unclear; they claim to be "Made in Italy for
>Cavallini & Co, San Francisco", whatever that indicates.
>
>The set I got has five decks in it; each is reduced to about 1 1/2" by 2
>1/2". The collection is in the form of a little bookcase, and each deck
>is a "book", which holds the loose cards. They are printed on heavy
>paper or light card, so the decks are pretty thick relative to their
>size, about 1" to 1 1/2".
>
>None come with any actual documentation, but they are labelled as
>follows:

[schnip]

>-- By far the most interesting of the lot (and, indeed, the reason I
>bought the thing): "Minchiate Florentine; Gioco di tarocchi di 97 carte
>Sec. XIX". Definitely post-period, although not as screamingly as some,
>but even so it's worth it: this is the only Minchiate deck I've ever
>seen for sale, and it appears to still fit Dummett's descriptions pretty
>closely. Worth the price of the whole set just to see what a Minchiate
>deck really looks like. (Minchiate, for those unfamiliar with Tarot
>arcana, is a 97-card variant, which has an expanded trump set.)

I am interested in the Minchiate reproduction, too.
A tarot-pack named "Minchiate Fiorentine" has been available for some time
now via U.S. Games Systems, made by AGMüller or Lo Scarabeo, who knows.
This is supposed to be not of reduced size, but rather original in size.

Does anyone know if those two editions are reproductions of the same pack,
the one reduced, the other not?

**       christian.hartmann at uni-duesseldorf.de