hist-games: Miniature Historical Tarot Decks

Bob O'Neill eoneill at ibm.net
Fri Oct 3 18:19:19 PDT 1997

At 07:22 AM 10/3/97 -0700, Michael Urban wrote:
>Although the point has been made several times, it is probably worth
>repeating that Tarot cards were used as playing cards long before
>their use for divination.

Though this probably the wrong forum for an extended discussion of this -
let me at least interject that there is an alterative theory.  This theory
places more weight on the 15th century documentation of "non-game"
applications, plus the documents unearthed in the series of articles by
Pratesi in JPCS in the late 1980's, plus the texts of cartomancy using
ordinary playing cards - and develops a documented history of non-game uses
of the Tarot that dates back to their origins.

Bob