hist-games: Miniature Historical Tarot Decks

Lily-Rose lilyrose at prickly-wombat.com
Thu Oct 2 16:48:07 PDT 1997

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Mark Waks wrote:

> -- "Tarocco Popolare; Ligure Piemontese". Very pretty, definitely
> post-period, and *quite* bizarre, in that all of the picture cards are
> double-headed (that is, they are divided in half much like modern court
> cards). I don't think I've seen that on any other Tarot decks. Indeces
> on all cards except courts.

I have a modern French (made in France) Tarot deck which is quite similar
to a playing card deck, although the suits and trumps are Tarot suits.  It
also came with rules (which I have yet to translate) for some game that
looks to be quite like bridge.  Apparently the "fortune telling decks"
that we are familiar with here in America are quite different from those
current in Europe (don't know about the Commonwealth, though).

Lily-Rose          lilyrose at prickly-wombat.com

I'll be post-feminist in a post-patriarchy.