hist-games: Games we can talk about.

John McLeod john at pagat.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 01:26:13 PDT 1997

Jeff Zeitlin <jeff.zeitlin at earth.execnet.com> wrote:
>>> Rummy
>>
>>No clue -- where does Rummy come from?
>
>Rummy is more a class of card games than a specific game; there
>were several rummy-type games that date back to period, including
>tarrochi and other similarly-named games.

Rummy has nothing to do with Tarocchi. Tarocchi is simply the Italian
name for Tarot, which is a group of trick taking games with trumps.

Rummy games first appeared in the West in the second half of the
nineteenth century, but games based on the same principle (draw and
discard, with the aim of collecting combinations of cards in hand)
existed in China long before then. I don't know exactly how long, I'm
afraid.
--
John McLeod                      For information on card games visit
john at pagat.demon.co.uk           http://www.pagat.com/