hist-games: Date for Tarot invention

patsmith patsmith at dnaco.net
Wed Sep 3 19:26:24 PDT 1997

See A Wicked Pack of Cards - the Origins of the Occult Tarot  by Ron
Decker (Curator of the Playing Card Museum in Cincinnati), Thierry
DePaulis, and Michael Dummet, (St Martins Press ISBN 0-312-16294-4) 1996
pages 27-28.
They place the invention of the Tarot deck between 1410 and 1442, with
aprox. 1425 the most likely. They definately existed in 1442, so no one
could introduce them seven years later.

The book is the best de-bunking of the "occult history" of Tarot cards in
existance, to my mind. Better even than Michael Dummett's Game of Tarot.
Especially since the Game of Tarot is out of print and impossible to find.

The other books you mentioned are better than average, but still not very
good sources on Tarot, (at least in my opinion.)

Keep playing,
    Brusten de Bearsul OL OP etc, / Pat smith