hist-games: Date for Tarot invention

MCKAY_MICHAEL at tandem.com MCKAY_MICHAEL at tandem.com
Wed Sep 3 16:50:00 PDT 1997

I was reading the playing card newsgroup, and ran across a post.  I mailed a
letter to the author, but thought I'd drop a line here too.

>From Maikeru Long <mlong at u.arizona.edu>:
>the Tarot deck was introduced in 1449 by Jacopo Marcello.

I have not heard of him.  I need to go home and re-check "The Game of Tarot"
(but don't remember seeing him mentioned in any detail).  Meanwhile, can
anybody add more information?

> I also recommend Alfred Douglas's _The Tarot: The Origins, Meanings, and Uses
> of the Cards_, and Colin Wilson's _The Occult:  A History_.

I have not read either of these books.  In the past I've been disappointed with
most "occult" tarot books as a source of history.  But perhaps these are
exceptions.  Has anyone else read these books?  Are they worth reading?

Michael McKay  (known in the SCA as Seaan McAy)
mckay_michael at tandem.com  or  seaanmcay at aol.com