hist-games: Mumbly Peg

Bob O'Neill eoneill at ibm.net
Tue Sep 2 15:01:37 PDT 1997

At 10:33 AM 9/2/97 -0500, Heather Garvey wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 bjm10 at cornell.edu wrote:
>
>>M--[whatever] peg, as I played it whilst in grade school had two
>>versions...
>>The sane version...
>	Umm, the one I learned was a little crazier. You knelt on the
>ground (or I suppose you can stand...) and then balanced the knife on
>its point on your finger, trying to flip it into the ground point first.
>If you did, you got to move on to the wrist, the elbow, the shoulder, the
>chin, and back down the other side. If you didn't stick, your turn was
>over. First one to get up one side and down the other won.

In Brooklyn in the 1940's there were two versions:
	1) The lead-in game (grade school) was the balance and flip game (Finger,
wrist, elbow, shoulder, etc.)
	2) The REAL game (high school) got your foot involved - whoever got the
knife closer to their own foot won.
(Of course, we had "sturdy" shoes in those days!!)
Bob