hist-games: Mumbly Peg

Heather Garvey raven at xnet.com
Tue Sep 2 08:33:38 PDT 1997

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 bjm10 at cornell.edu wrote:

>M--[whatever] peg, as I played it whilst in grade school had two
>versions, both played with those pocketknives that your mother did not
>want your father to get for you.
>
>The sane version was similar to horseshoes played with knives.  The
>object was to toss your knife so it stuck into the ground, point-down, as
>close as possible to the mark.

	Umm, the one I learned was a little crazier. You knelt on the
ground (or I suppose you can stand...) and then balanced the knife on
its point on your finger, trying to flip it into the ground point first.
If you did, you got to move on to the wrist, the elbow, the shoulder, the
chin, and back down the other side. If you didn't stick, your turn was
over. First one to get up one side and down the other won.

	My parents were actually the ones who taught me this, although
Dad cautioned us to play in a clear area. A friend of his had played next
to a basketball court and a stray ball hit him while he was playing
off the wrist. The word "impale" came to mind. Ouch!