hist-games: Mumbly Peg

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Tue Sep 2 07:45:00 PDT 1997

> M--[whatever] peg, as I played it whilst in grade school had two
> versions, both played with those pocketknives that your mother did not
> want your father to get for you.

I don't recall ever actually playing this, or even seeing it played,
but somewhere I picked up the factoid that before the knife-throwing
started the players would drive a small dowel into the ground,
and the loser of the game would have to pull it out with his teeth
(mumble the peg).  Maybe I should consider this to be folk etymology.

-- Alfredus