hist-games: Mumbly Peg

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 30 19:06:00 PDT 1997

M--[whatever] peg, as I played it whilst in grade school had two
versions, both played with those pocketknives that your mother did not
want your father to get for you.

The sane version was similar to horseshoes played with knives.  The
object was to toss your knife so it stuck into the ground, point-down, as
close as possible to the mark.

The crazed animal version was a form of "chicken"--the mark was your own
foot, and the winner was whomever got closest without actually hitting
himself.

According to my Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (the only
source I have at hand at the moment) "mumblety peg" or "mumble the peg"
entered the English language around 1630.