hist-games: Re: hist-games-digest V1 #14

David Salley salley at niktow.canisius.edu
Sat Aug 23 06:22:59 PDT 1997

> Football - anyone like to postulate what you could use for a period
> "ball" - besides a victims head?

> I believe the most common ball at the time was a pig's bladder- although
> this could be hard to come by as well.......

> Cheers
> Lachlan

A pig's bladder stuffed with straw.  Check out "Pleasures and Pastimes in
Medieval England." by Barnes and Noble Press.  Look it up under "Gameball".

							-- Dagonell
               ______
              /      | INTERNET   : salley at niktow.canisius.edu
             /       | WEB-NET    : http://www-cs.canisius.edu/~salley
    ________/        | USNAILNET  : David P. Salley, 136 Shepard Street,
   |*                |              Buffalo, New York 14212-2029 U.S.A.
  /  Rhydderich Hael | ICBMNET    : 42 55 32 N / 78 51 10 W / Alt 600
 |______________     | PERSONA    : Lord Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake
 AEthelmearc,   `_   |              AKA Dagonell the Juggler
    East Kingdom  `__| DISCLAIMER :"Canisius never agrees with me."