hist-games: Footy

John Brattan didjb at hunterlink.net.au
Thu Aug 21 21:14:34 PDT 1997

Howdy,

Members of my Viking reenactment group play a game called 'village
football'. We all want to believe that Vikings and Saxons did play this
game, but we have absolutely nothing but hearsay to go on. What we play is
- two goal areas, two teams and a piece of material tied up with twine as
the 'ball'. That's about it for rules etc. Some of us ask that there be no
biting, gouging or damage of delicate parts of the anatomy, and sometimes
we stick to these extra rules.

Anyone got any idea on what really happened in a game of football in or
around the C10th in Northern Europe/British Isles? Any references?

Cheers,

John Brattan
Secretary for Samildánach
of Maitland NSW
Reenactors of the Viking invasions of Britain - C10th-C11th