hist-games: Games we can talk about.

Jeff Zeitlin jeff.zeitlin at earth.execnet.com
Wed Aug 20 13:34:04 PDT 1997

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:37:05 -0400, Mark Waks <justin at inmet.com>
wrote:

>Zax wrote:
>> Here is a list of games we can talk about, (believe it or not, they meet
>> the criteria).
>
>Well -- no, not really. Despite the name, I believe this list is focused
>on Really Old Games (medieval & renaissance, maybe sliding into the
>Baroque somewhat). So not all of the games on the list qualify, although
>some do:

>> Riversi
>> Monopoly...(or the equivelent)

>No; both are, I believe, 20th century. Reversi really doesn't have any
>close analogues to period. Monopoly is, of course, modern, but we could
>certainly talk about its soi-distant ancestor, The Game of the Goose...

I'm pretty sure that I've seen info that documents Reversi/
Othello or a functionally equivalent game to the XVIc.  Which
surprised me; it doesn't have a medieval "feel", if that
statement makes any sense...

>> Hockey, (shinney)
>
>Possible; haven't looked into this.
>
>> Bowling. (nine-pins)
>
>I don't *think* nine-pins is that old, although it might be. Some
>versions
>of bowling are certainly ancient.
>
>> Golf
>
>Hmm. I've forgotten -- when *did* golf start?
>
>> baseball (rounders)
>
>Not baseball per se, but some ancestors.
>
>> Croquet
>
>Not per se, unfortunately -- although popular in the SCA, everything
>I've seen indicates that Croquet is 19th century. But Pall Mall, a
>somewhat similar ancestor, is period.
>
>> Cricket
>
>No clue how old Cricket is, although I doubt it's period...

Then Rounders isn't, either; I've seen info that says that
Cricket predates rounders.

>> Cribbage
>
>More or less period.

Very end of period, IIRC - there's supposed to be a book
describing it that dates back to the early 1600s.

>> Rummy
>
>No clue -- where does Rummy come from?

Rummy is more a class of card games than a specific game; there
were several rummy-type games that date back to period, including
tarrochi and other similarly-named games.

There are also some predecessors to Pinochle that date back to
period.

Pachisi/Parcheesi certainly qualifies.
--
Jeff Zeitlin