hist-games: Games we can talk about.

David KUIJT kuijt at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Aug 20 09:21:36 PDT 1997

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Mark Waks wrote:
> > Marbles?
>
> Apparently visible in Breughel's painting of children's games,
> so some version of marbles is probably period...

I just looked at the large poster version (Children's Games; Breughel,
1560) in my bathroom, and I don't see anyone playing marbles.  Lots of
different bowling/kayles/knucklebones games; a huge number of unfamiliar
games (throwing hats for distance between the spread legs of another
player, for example), but no marbles.

Dafydd/David Kuijt